navigation-background arrow-down-circle Reply Icon Show More Heart Delete Icon wiki-circle wiki-square wiki arrow-up-circle add-circle add-square add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up calendar-circle chat-bubble-2 chat-bubble check-circle check close contact-us credit-card drag menu email embed facebook-circle snapchat-circle facebook-square facebook faq-circle faq film gear google-circle google-square google history home instagram-circle instagram-square instagram linkedin-circle linkedin-square linkedin load monitor Video Player Play Icon person pinterest-circle pinterest-square pinterest play readlist remove-circle remove-square remove search share sign-out star trailer trash twitter-circle twitter-square twitter youtube-circle youtube-square youtube

Hounds Improve Playoff Chances With 15-12 Defeat Of Cannons

March 19, 2016
The Charlotte Hounds on Saturday night used an eight-goal fourth quarter to defeat the Boston Cannons 15-12 for their fourth win of the season. It marks the first time in the Hounds’ three-year existence that they have beaten the Cannons. Midfielder John Haus was named Coca-Cola Player of the Game for his three-goal performance, while Adam Ghitelman finished with 19 saves on 31 shots. The Cannons were led by Will Manny and Stephen Berger, who each had five-point games.

The game opened with a power-play goal for the Hounds, as Justin Ward took advantage of a cross-checking penalty called on Brent Adams just three minutes into the action. But the Cannons quickly tied things up with a goal from Kevin Buchanan. The next six and a half minutes went scoreless before Kevin Drew intercepted a pass from Paul Rabil to set up the first goal of the night by Jake Tripucka. The Cannons scored the next two to take a 3-2, but with 19 seconds left in the quarter Haus faked out his defender and tied the game 3.

It took over seven minutes in the second for anyone to find the back of the net, but after some quick passing Manny caught Ghitelman off guard and put the Cannons back in front 4-3. Momentum stayed with the visitors, as Scott Ratliff made a great move in transition to find Manny on the doorstep for his second of the night and a 5-3 advantage. But the Hounds responded, as Tripucka and Matt Danowski each scored unassisted to tie the game at 5 going into halftime.

Mike Chanenchuk briefly regained the lead for the Hounds with a goal off a pass from Ward to make it 6-5 with 8:43 to play in the third. But the Cannons scored two goals in 30 seconds, both off the faceoff, to pull back ahead 7-6. That was followed by another two goals in 40 seconds, including one from Rabil, to give the Cannons a 9-6 advantage to start the final quarter.

The Hounds came out shooting in the fourth, tallying four straight goals – including a 2-pointer from Mike Sawyer – in five minutes to pull in front 11-9. Chris Eck won the ensuing faceoff from Ward’s second goal of the night and passed to Manny, who put an end to the Hounds’ run. However, the Hounds rattled off another three goals in 18 seconds – including the third of the night for Haus – to build a 14-10 advantage with  six minutes remaining in the game. The teams traded goals, and a late penalty on Pat Laconi set up a power-play goal from Berger to account for the 15-12 final.

The Hounds (4-5) next host the Rochester Rattlers (5-3) at American Legion Memorial Stadium on Saturday, July 5 at 7:00pm ET. There will then be post-game fireworks presented by Orleans Homes. The Rattlers take on the Outlaws (7-1) on Sunday afternoon.

See the complete box score for this game.